23 February 2008

Sunday Morning

It is Sunday morning here, so I braved the cold to go get some breakfast and mail a letter. Before I left I memorized the word for sweet potato, because I really wanted a bagel with sweet potato that I had seen in a shop near my house.

"Koguma... koguma... koguma..." All the way down the hill, I practiced because I didn't want to look like an idiot. Well the joke was on me because nothing is open at 9am on Sunday morning. And now I'm really cold and have accomplished nothing.

I did however get to see a ceremony at the temple, which included lots of banging on some kind of pot/pan/cowbell-type instrument, and some kind of harsh sounding flute, and old men singing. I didn't have my camera with me, but I'll try to get them on film next Sunday.

That picture is a painting from inside the temple. Although there is no snow here right now, it feels as cold as that picture looks. And no, I don't know why he cut his hand off.

EDIT: I went back out and they were playing songs again. There must be a noon ceremony as well. I didn't see the procession this time, but then again, I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to be taking video, so I tried to be as inconspicuous as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment